Friday, November 18, 2016

Around The Block

I walked around the block a couple of times yesterday.  Walking is good exercise for me.  As I walked I realized I've been walking around this particular block for 25 years.  The block to the south of me has two houses on it.  Both houses are on the north side of the road.  One house has an odd house number and one house has an even house number.  Blew. My. Mind.  I thought one side of the street had even numbers and the other had odd numbers.  When I drive to new places, I always use that assumption to find the place I'm looking for.    I don't know exactly how many times I've walked this block but it's quite a few.  In the 1990's I usually had something in my hand as I walked.  If it wasn't a baby stroller or a rusty red wagon I had a dog leash.  I walked both Ruby and Blunder around this block many, many, times.  Also in the 1990's I would use one dog leash for the dog and the other dog leash to put around my waist.  If the road was covered in snow I would pull the kids in the sled behind me while walking the dog.  I've walked this block in the mornings, in the afternoons, in the evenings, and even in the night time.  There was a short time before the turn of the century where I would get up at 5 a.m. and walked these blocks for exercise  I saw stars and shooting stars.  I saw northern lights so vivid and energetic it was positively scary to see.  I've seen birds and bunnies, deer and fox, dogs and cats and neighbors.  On this particular walk yesterday I saw my lovely neighbor V.  V was wearing her usual purple glittery cowgirl hat and she was riding her 3 wheeled bicycle.   Both of her rescued miniature pinchers trotted along side her shivering.  We stopped to talk.  V is an inspiration to me and to all my neighbors who see her exercising her puppies come rain or snow or sleet or hail. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...