Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Curiosity

In my opinion curiosity is a good thing. I have a lot of curiosity.  I always have.  This morning an old memory drifted up from the recesses of my mind to a moment in the 1960's.  I am at home.  I am about 8 years old. My parents are out.  On this rare occasion where my Grandma was watching us, I sat on the braided rug in the living room next to her rocker.  I am the oldest.  I am too old to occupy her lap.  Younger siblings get that coveted spot on her lap. Grandma had a great soft lap.  It's summer and a low level sun is shining into our living room windows.  It's almost time for bed. Our living room has one wall that is brown, one wall that is orange, and another wall that is orange.  This was the 60's after all.  Grandma rocks her chair with babies in her lap.  I sit on the braided rug right next to her rocker, basking in the flow of the good vibes my Grandma puts out.  The glow of the 3 lamps on a single pole surrounds me. I am looking at the newspaper.  In those days we got the morning and the evening edition of the Saint Paul Pioneer Press.  Since I am too old to take room on Grandma's lap, I sit on the floor next to her and read the paper.  It's the business section.  The newspaper is all about business.  The chair rocks.  All is peaceful in the house. The newspaper is boring but it's my beloved Grandma so I am happy to sit next to her.  I read a headline.  I see a word I have never seen before.  So I, in all innocence, ask Grandma, "Grandma?  What is intercourse?"  The rocking chair stops rocking. Suddenly the vibe from my Grandma feels different.  My eyes are on the business section of the newspaper.  She hesitates.  After a few seconds of silence she says, "Maybe you should ask your mother."  The rocking of younger siblings starts up again.  I forget all about intercourse until the next day when my mother, in a very angry tone, tells me to never, ever, ask my Grandma about intercourse ever again!  I feel her anger so I am careful not to say anything wrong but what could possibly be wrong with a word in a headline in the Saint Paul newspaper?  I learn my lesson.  I never ask Grandma about intercourse ever again, but my curiosity spiked to a level of which I had never felt before.  The next time I get a chance I look up intercourse in the dictionary. I don't get it. What could be the problem?  Why are people so upset about communication between one business and another?  For years I remain confused.  Later, in public high school I learn more about intercourse.  The teachers  at my high school don't tell us directly about intercourse but they explain enough that dots are made on a page and we're supposed to connect those dots ourselves. I think about intercourse.  I hear what they are hinting at.  I think to myself, "Naw!  That can't be right!  I must have it wrong because that sounds downright nasty."  My curiosity is spiked again.  At 16 I do some research on my own because the teacher didn't fully explain it.  Could this really be true?  I learn that what they hinted at is correct.  I cannot believe my eyes.  Wow. I am astounded. "Never ever!" I think to myself.  LOL.  I grew up. I matured.  Intercourse was no longer communication between one business and another. What seemed so nasty at 16 was not nasty at age 26!  I am a curious person and proud of it!  Good times with Grandma!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...