Friday, February 17, 2017

Oaks Boost My Self Confidence

Today was a big day for me. On my lunch time walk with persons with disabilities, I went on my old route around Laddie Lake in Blaine.  The last time I took this route was, I don't know exactly, but I believe it was April or May.  Weather wasn't the reason we quit walking Laddie Lake. My arthritis was the reason.  I had to admit the pain of the outing was too much for me.  When pain screamed loud enough to me we started taking shorter walks around the parking lot.  In November I had that pain surgically removed.  Every day I am closer to full recovery.  Today I resumed our walk around Laddie Lake.  After ten or eleven months not much had changed.  Today was a beautiful day.  Temperatures reached into the 60's.  I was walking with two handsome younger men.  Both men have dimples but the dimples don't show all the time.  Today the dimples were showing.  I could see the dimples on the ambulatory fellow more than the fellow in the wheelchair (because I was pushing him) but all the dimples were showing when I looked. What a lovely walk!  Chickadees were singing their love songs.  What hit me most were the oak trees.  Winter allows the beauty of the oak branches to shine. Their crooked branches were beautiful against the intensely blue sky.  Has the sky ever been so blue before?  All the oak tree gnarly knobs are obvious.   The deep grooves in the bark are not symmetrical.  Unlike the standards for human beauty, asymmetrical in oaks is expected and appreciated.  As we walked through the Blaine woods admiring the oak trees, I could only rejoice in the fact that oaks make me feel better about my scars, my asymmetry, and basically myself.  Oaks boost my self confidence!  I am gnarly. I am asymmetrical.  I have lumps and bumps.  I am as beautiful as an oak!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...