Friday, February 17, 2017

The Buried Giant

What happens when a buried giant wakes up?  I really don't know because I've never seen it happen but I would predict mayhem.  I had no idea when I picked this book off the shelf at the library that I was holding in my hand one of my favorite ten books I have ever read.  I recognized Kazuo Ishiguro because he is the author of Never Let Me Go and I loved Never Let Me GoThe Buried Giant is set in Briton in the sixth or seventh century.  Axl and Beatrice are an elderly couple living in the country.  They go on a journey to find their son.  Their memories are not clear. No one's memories are clear.  Later we find out the reason no one's memories are clear involve a dragon and Merlin the magician. This is a fantasy novel.  There is a dragon and pixies and ogres.  Is it such a crazy fantasy to restore peace to a war torn region by clouding the memory of everyone in the land?  If people can't remember the war long enough, maybe they desire for revenge and retribution will dissolve?  I don't think it's any crazier than performing acts of revenge and retribution and waging more war.  A good book is one that remains in my mind even when I 'm not reading it and this book definitely did that to me.  I longed to get back to The Buried Giant every time I had to put it down.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...