Monday, February 27, 2017

Kind or Mean?

Is kind the opposite of mean?  Is mean the opposite of kind?  I try not to think in terms of black and white but I have pondered this question for about a week now.  What can appear to be kind can actually be a little bit mean.  In the employment business for example, if an employee takes something that does not belong to them, are you really doing them any favors when you say, "That is ok.  I don't mind."  How can that employee learn to be a good employee if they don't get some honest feedback on what is and what is not acceptable at work? Or say someone is rude to you.  You know their rudeness is a reflection of them and not you.  Is it kind to mark it up to them having a bad day and letting it go without comment? Or would it be kinder to call that person on their behavior and let them know in no uncertain terms that their behavior is not acceptable (and setting the stage for all future interactions between you and them)?  What can appear to be mean can actually be kind.  A child (of any height or age) has a tantrum.  You know what they want.  You know what would calm them down and make them stop crying.  Yet you insist they use their words and ask for what they want in an appropriate fashion.  That may look mean but in actuality, be a kindness. Mean or kind - what are those things anyway?  They are not concrete items I can put in a box.  A person can judge me for being mean or kind and I can judge another person for being mean or kind.  The truth of the matter is, things are complicated. How a human reacts to a situation depends on their truth, their knowledge, their heart.  I will say, however, that I have never, and will never hit a dog with a stick (unless it has rabies and is coming near to someone that I love.)  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...