Friday, February 3, 2017

When Customer Service Falls Short

Where I go to exercise there is a big emphasis of friendly customer service.  When you arrive or depart you are greeted by the person at the desk.  A year ago there was an awesome person at the front desk.  Her name was Jordan. When I walked in she would smile at me, wave her hand to indicate I didn't need to show her my gym card, and say, "I got you Sue!  Have a good workout!"  She was amazing. One day at the Cub grocery store that shares the same parking lot as the gym, I was mindlessly putting my purchases on the conveyor belt.  I was in a state of obliviousness that often takes over when I shop for groceries.  I hear a friendly, "Hi Sue!"  It was Jordan. She was shopping for groceries too.  I told her, "You are amazing.  You are like the name whisperer."  She laughed. I am glad I said that. Jordan gave good customer service.  She doesn't work there anymore but I feel certain success is in her future. Today I had a different experience. I walk in after work with my gym card in my right hand.  An unfamiliar person is at the desk beside another woman whom I have seen many times before.  Her hand is extended. She is ready to put my card under the scanner to check me in.  I smile.  "How are you?" she asks me.  She takes the card out of my hand, holds it under the device and I hear a reassuring beep.  I start to say good but before I can get the letter g out of my mouth she turns her head to her coworker and asks, "How are you feeling?"  As she listens she mindlessly keeps my card in her hand.  I stand there, ignored and pinned to the spot because she has my card in my hand. I need my card.  I need my card to use my locker and to get back in again tomorrow. I get that she is busy.  I get customer service is hard.  I get that she really doesn't care how I am doing today. All that is fine.  Just stop pretending you care about me of if you can't do that, at least give me my card back and don't make me wait while you ignore me.  A smile is all I care for.  Easy for me to say. I don't work there.  I try to give good customer service at my job.  I thank people for coming to meetings. I remember things about them. I tease them about things in the past.  I am friendly.  It's not just me saying that, my coworkers (more importantly my supervisor) agree I am friendly. I acknowledge people-isn't that a huge part of the human experience? I think it is.  Relationships is what life is all about.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...