Tuesday, February 21, 2017

What Season Is It Anyway?

On my commute home I always cross the Rum River.  Today I saw open water on the river for the first time in a long time.  Every day this week the ice turned a darker shade of grey (here is an innocent reference to shades of Grey!  Cuz, gross - take an innocent color and make it nasty) and today the ice broke up and fell over the dam in Anoka.  Just a few weeks ago I heard snowmobiles racing up and down the river and making as much noise as a highway.  I would really like to see the ice go out sometime.  But the weather, well, the weather is incredible.  Ephemeral pools are everywhere.  This past weekend I thought about burning my pile of brush but the ephemeral pool to get there was deeper than my wellies. Today on my lunch time walk to Laddie Lake we were honored to see three broad winged hawks circling above the oak forest.  I'm not 100% on raptor identification but I know they weren't eagles and they weren't red tailed hawks and they weren't red shouldered hawks.  I am 85% sure these three were broad hawks dancing high above the oak canopy.  The giant circles these hawks formed in the sky were totally awesome to witness.  People are seeing tree frogs clinging to their windows. Some birders have seen killdeer and sand hill cranes.  A woman I work with today said we are expecting 14 inches of snow this Friday.  On the one hand I am happy for my cross country ski friends and my snowmobile friends.  On the other hand I honestly would prefer more of this 60 degree weather.  Whatever happens, I am adaptable. I'll get through it.  Like Darwin says, "It's not the strongest species that survives but the most adaptable."

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...