Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The Shadow Of The Wind

My library recommended this book on their website.  As I started reading The Shadow Of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon I read about someone trying to burn all the books written by a certain author.  I thought the book would be about censorship and I can see librarians getting on the anti-censorship bandwagon.  But I was wrong.  There is a secret book depository with books that others have tried to get rid of but the story is much more complex than simple censorship.  Ten year old Daniel reads a book by an author named Carax.  He is enchanted and tries, over the next seven years to find out all he can about the fellow named Carax.  As the years progress Daniel's own life seems to mirror the novel written by Carax.  You would never guess who is trying to burn all the Carax books.  This story is an international best seller.  My edition was translated from Spanish and it was a spell binding story that happened in the town of Barcelona.  I liked Daniel and I liked other characters too but my favorite was Fermin Romero de Torres.  Daniel meets Fermin when he is a homeless alcoholic in a back alley.  He brings him home, he cleans him up, he gets Fermin a job, and he has the most interesting, most valuable and bravest friend Daniel could ever hope to get.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...