Saturday, September 30, 2017

Chains Keep Us Together?

I replaced my front gutter with a temporary rain chain made from an antique chain I had in my garage. I obtained this chain years and years ago (15?) when I took my good friend and her daughter on a tour of the "old farm" with my father. She likes to photograph old barns. He took us to the old barn. I took an old horse bridle off a peg on the wall. He gave it to me.  I didn't know why I wanted this antique chain until he said, "My father made that."

My father's father reportedly forged this chain himself.  He had a side-business of forging metal.  He took steel (not the most malleable metal) and changed the shape, diameter, and function of the metal into something he found useful.  This is a skill very few people have and very few people have an interest in or knowledge of.

Is this the weakest link? This metal has been used on horses back in the day when horses were used for farming instead of racing or riding. This chain was used on a work horse.  My Grandfather was a work horse too I guess.

Should I even use this chain, this precious metal, on a water chain?  Why not? I suspect even my Grandpa  would advise me to use it.


I can even use the other part of the horse bridle to keep the chain from blowing around in the wind and possibly breaking the window to my garage.

I creatively repurposed objects. This makes me adaptive. Charles Darwin would be proud of me.

This should suffice as a rain chain until I get another one and until I empty that rain barrel for the season.

Look at the damage a black walnut tree can do!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...