Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Plum Glitter Jam

This summer I have made strawberry jam and plum glitter jam. Instead of the traditional sure-jell jam I used recipes off the BBC website. The British recipes do not use sure-jell.  And what is sure-jell anyway? The British recipes use less sugar too. By the way, guess how many cups of sugar are in a pound? Two. I guessed six so it's a good thing I double checked. Anyway, this is a photo of plums being cooked. I started by making my own pectin. I boiled the snot out of two shredded apples and then I added the plums, two oranges and the juice of two limes (I was supposed to use lemons but oh, well). I didn't add the edible gold glitter. I haven't made plum jam for many years.  The last time was more than 15 years ago and it was the summer before my plum tree died. In a last ditch effort to survive the plum tree put out a ton of fruit and I made delicious jam that year.  The batch this year looks good too!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...