Friday, September 15, 2017

Volunteering

Do you volunteer at all? If you do, is it for your family or your friends or for some organization? I volunteer for all three of those but it's not because I am a nice person. I am a nice person but that is not why I volunteer. I volunteer because it's fun. I'm selfish that way. I want to spend my time having fun. Fun comes in different packages for different people. Fun for you might be glory or fame or interacting with people.  If it's interacting with people maybe you prefer quiet, one on one sessions or maybe you like to dress up like a bear in a crowd.  If it's glory, maybe you want your name on a book (when is the Minnesota breeding bird atlas ever going to come out?) or applause or admiration.  If it's fame, maybe people know who you are and invite you to events. Here is an interesting article explaining the science behind volunteering: https://joe.org/joe/2017august/tt7.php

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...