Sunday, September 17, 2017

The Half Has Never Been Told

I can't say I enjoyed The Half Has Never Been Told, a book about slavery and the making of American capitalism by Edward E. Baptist. This book is like a textbook.  Difficult to read each sentence is packed full of hard to digest information. The main message was that slavery was necessary for our country to succeed economically. Without slavery cotton would  not be king. The southern states would be poor tobacco farms. The slave trade was well organized and profitable to the white people. Slaves were tortured, expected to do more today than they did yesterday. While they suffered the United States became the king of cotton and set the stage for the industrial revolution. I couldn't finish the book but I am glad I tried. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...