Sunday, September 24, 2017

Toad Rip

Sorry, I mean road trip.

I took a road trip on Saturday.  You never know where you'll end up on these road trips.

No need to snicker. The exit for Northfield is just an exit between exit 68 and exit 70.

I went further south. I was headed to Owatonna.

Last weekend I had the marshbird survey appreciation picnic on Harriet Island. I got a small gift and a free supper including pinot grigio.

This time I was headed to the second annual secchi social.  People who monitor lakes and streams for the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency were appreciated.  My name tag said my name, my monitoring spots and how many years I had been monitoring.  I guessed 5 years but it turns out to be 8 years. Aren't the clouds pretty?

I sat with fascinating people. One couple monitors the Kettle River and the other couple monitors Rice Creek.  Both couples live near me, more or less.

I won the biggest door prize which was a large coleman cooler, a camping towel, a camping set of plates and cups and a camping lantern.

As I drove to the Steele County Historical Museum I saw there was a rabbit show at the fairgrounds.I texted my sibling and asked, "Any chance you are in Owatonna?"

She was in Owatonna! So I left my event and went to a rabbit show.

I'm standing there in this big pole barn and suddenly I hear her voice calling some kid to bring his rabbit somewhere.  Wow. She can use the microphone and she was taking pictures of the winners.

Interesting people go to rabbit shows.

These are show rabbits; not pets.

Some rabbits win. Some rabbits lose.

All the rabbits were cute and winners in my book.

A  Rabbit Mobile. They have more room than I do in an airplane.

So many breeds of rabbits. So many colors and patterns. I think this one looked like a kid colored it.

Pretty gold rabbit trophies too.

These  are silver rabbits.  They have a silver undercoat. This is a rare breed.

This one had nice hips said the judge.

This one did well too.

I wanted to go to a rabbit show someday.  Today was the day.

After the show I headed home through downtown Owatonna. This town has wide cement streets and church bells ringing on a Saturday afternoon.

I got home in no time.

Good day for a road trip.

Now I should plan the next road trip.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...