Thursday, September 21, 2017

My Age of Anxiety

I read My Age of Anxiety; Fear, Hope, Dread and the Search for Peace of Mind by Scott Stossel. Reading it made me anxious. I wasn't anxious all the time I was reading it, just some of the time.  The feeling I had all the time I was reading it was fascination. This book made me realize how lucky I was to choose a career where I can read the psychological evaluations of other people.  People fascinate me. The mystery of how our brains work has always fascinated me. What makes me anxious may not make you anxious.  You  might not like to drive downtown Minneapolis while I love driving downtown but put me behind a wheel of a car in  Tasmania and I am a nervous wreck. Scott, who is a very successful person, opens up his brain for us to look inside. He has very little peace of mind. I work with some people who are open about their anxiety. I try not to judge people yet I do. One woman I know can hardly cope. She has many psychological labels. Yet if a wild African lion came running into our office,  I know she would stay calmer than I am and I don't think I am that anxious. Reading this book has made me more understanding and more accepting of the anxiety of others. I was so impressed by this book that I texted an anxious good friend of mine that I needed to see her and we're getting together in a couple weeks.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...