Saturday, April 7, 2018

Birds of a Fitted Sheet

Today I decided to take advantage of the April sunshine as I cleaned my house. First the throw rugs went outside to be shaken.  I hung them over the deck rails. Next the bed pillows set outside to freeze the dust mites to death (or at least give them hypothermia).  After that the bed sheets were hung out to dry.  I put the fitted sheet over the post that holds the suet feeder. After seeing a raccoon nibbling on the suet and after spending $3 per week for the winter season I decided it was time the woodpeckers became less dependent on me. No more suet until next fall. The rest of the laundry was hung on a drying rack.  A couple shirts were hanging on hangers out there. In summary, the deck was decked out in wet laundry and rugs.  The deck seemed crowded but it smelled good out there.  First the clothes froze and then they dried. Steam rose into the air from my socks and shirts. Some people like their clothes soft and scented. I like my clothes unscented, stiff and a little scratchy. Later, as I was mopping the floor next to the deck a sudden movement caught my eye. A downy woodpecker landed on my fitted sheet.  Another downy woodpecker came barreling and also landed on my fitted sheet. The two woodpeckers were agitated and possibly fighting.  Those crazy birds! I just had to laugh out loud.  I did appreciate the laugh though.  Maybe I should buy one more hunk of suet?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...