Monday, April 30, 2018

Leopard Frogs Calling At Home

Tonight I am sitting on my deck listening to leopard frogs do their long slow snore.  I hear at least four individuals calling. How have I never heard this before? I mean, I have heard leopard frogs calling but never at home. I also hear a robin, many chickadees, some cardinals, a pileated woodpecker, and goldfinches. Today is a warm day. The inside of my house is still cold but it is warm outside. It was even warm this morning when I got up.  I tried to put the rain barrel in place for the season. I could not do it this morning because there was a tear drop chunk of ice right where I wanted to put the barrel. I tried to kick the ice out but I could not do it. This was a 5 inch tear drop of frozen run off. I decided to let nature take its course.  When I got home the ice had melted. Now the rain barrel is in place.  Now the leopard frogs are singing. If I was to guess what they were saying I would guess most of it has to do with mating but some of the snores must be gratitude that it is finally warm enough outside for frogs to sing.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...