Saturday, April 14, 2018

She Loves Me

Last night I had plans to participate in a citizen science event that involved listening for owls near Pierz, Minnesota.  That did not happen.  Why did that not happen?  Because Mother Nature played a Friday the 13th prank the weather was unsuitable for being outside and listening for owls.  Plan B involved dinner at a local restaurant followed by cheap tickets for a play at the Lyric Arts theater.  If you come a half hour before show time and if there are tickets left, you can get cheap tickets.  The play was called She Loves Me. Oh, the performance was lively and lovely.  This was just what the doctor ordered - a little bit of local theater to fortify the body and the mind.  My friend drove me back to my car. After a block or so the seat below me suddenly felt warm.  I had a flashback to a winter day 18 years ago.  I was waiting outside Coon Rapids Chrysler Plymouth for this very same friend to pick me up and give me a ride to work.  I had been waiting outside for 10 minutes.  I was seriously thinking of selling this Plymouth and buying a Honda or a Toyota. So I was cold when I got into the Buick.  Being a kind and thoughtful friend, she had pre-heated the passenger seat in the Buick for me. I sat down and felt a great warmth on my nether regions and said, "Oh, Jan. I think I wet my pants." I could think of no other explanation for my warm "south end of a mule walking north." This was my first experience with heated seats. I have always remembered that awkward moment and I told her about it last night.  She had completely forgotten it ever happened.  I suppose I remembered it vividly because I had to confess to a socially awkward behavior.  In any case I imagine the owls near Pierz were clinging to the branches with their talons and riding out the storm just fine.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...