Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Beneath The Lion's Gaze

Several people in my book club recommended Beneath The Lion's Gaze by Maaza Mengiste. I borrowed it from the library and started reading it today when the rain interrupted my outdoor work.  I sat down and read a third of it at one sitting. I read the middle third of it at lunch.  Later, when rain ended my kayaking excursion on East Twin Lake, I came home and read the last third. I read the whole book today, July the 4th. The story is about Ethiopia in the 1970's. The leader of the country, Haile Selassee, has been in power for six decades. His reign is coming to and end. Times are tough in Ethiopia both before and after Selassee is smothered by a guard. I think this was a good book to read today.  I read about gun shots as firecrackers and bottle rockets explode in my neighborhood. I read about political unrest and violence in my peaceful little abode.  This book prompted me not to take the tranquility of my life for granted.  Not everyone lives in peace.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...