Sunday, July 22, 2018

House Wrens

Right now my chicken coop and run is situated right next to a blue bird house. A nest of blue birds did fledge and then the house wren moved in.  The house wren is a very noisy bird first thing in the morning and I am considering moving that house farther away from my bedroom window before next spring.  Now, when I turn the corner of the house to bring water to the chickens, the house wrens fly up. They like to sit on the east side of the house in the bare sand and soak up the sun. I often see them perched on top of the chicken coop and the chicken run.  Yesterday I saw one eating chicken feed that was spilled on the ground. I guess the chickens and the house wren get along just fine. The house wren has a habit of filling every bird house with two inch twigs. The birds fill the houses to the top with twigs and they are wedged in there tightly.  When I take a nest out of a bird house it expands in my hand and I can't fit it back in again.  I had to do that once when I saw the nest had baby house wrens in it.  I am glad the house wren doesn't fill in the chicken coop with two inch twigs!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...