Monday, July 9, 2018

Little Mary & Sunfish

This weekend I kayaked on two lakes.  I traveled to Lake Maria state park. I thought the name of the lake was Maria but it turns out to be Little Mary lake. I put in and, as always, the first question is clockwise or counter clockwise?  I like to kayak close to the shore to looks for birds and turtles. I put in at the dock and to my right I saw two heads in the water. Two women were swimming and talking so counter clockwise it was!  I saw a little island out there and thought I would come around the other side on my way back. While propelling my little green boat through the lily pads I saw green herons, two kingfishers, great blue herons, pelicans, red winged blackbirds, an eagle and some turkey vultures.  I went quite a way before I saw a house so the lake must not be entirely enclosed by the state park.  I got to the far end of the lake where a man stood on a dock with a girl. They were looking at minnows. I asked if  it would be possible to kayak through the culvert right there under the road.  He said it was possible and that would take me into Silver Lake.  So I went under the road and into Silver Lake.  Silver Lake was much busier.  Silver Lake had pontoons, speed boats and jet skis while Little Mary Lake had 4 kayaks, one canoe, and one inflatable paddle board.  I didn't stay long on Silver Lake.  On my way back I could not see where I entered the lake. I kept to the shore line so I knew eventually I would come back to the beginning but it is a little disconcerting not to know where you started; much like leaving work at the end of the day to see your car is not in your parking spot.  I looked for ten minutes before I spotted that island I saw on my way in. I would definitely kayak Little Mary lake again. I thought it would be very beautiful in the fall when the leaves turn color.  On Sunday I wanted to do a short kayak trip.  I had worked hard all day and it was getting late.  There is a lake near me called Sunfish Lake where the city allows the residents to rent canoes at no charge. I brought kayak there. Some young men were hanging out at the picnic shelter. When they saw me dragging my boat they offered to help but I declined with a cheerful thanks. I asked about leeches.  One boy said he didn't think there were any leeches but there were snapping turtles. He said he has swum in that lake.  For some unknown reason I was wearing a summer dress so I tried to get into the kayak like a lady and without getting my dress wet.  Here I have four teenage boys watching me. No pressure or anything.  I do get in the kayak but I should have gone a little further out before sitting down because now I am stuck.  I paddle backward and jerk my body to get moving. I make slow progress. One of the boys comes to help me out.  He wasn't a knight in shining armor but he had cargo shorts and black sketcher shoes.  The  lily pads are very thick in Sunfish Lake.  I could hardly get moving because they were growing right on top of each other.  People were fishing on the pier. The lake has a few homes on it.  Several of the homes look like paradise for children with swings over the water, trampolines, and home made tree houses with a curly slide exit.  I saw a coot with some chicks. Green frogs were calling. A  nice breeze from the west helped cool me down as I headed back to the shore where I came in.  Maybe if the rains hold off for a spell I can try kayaking a river one of these days.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...