Sunday, July 15, 2018

Found a Woodchuck Den!

The last time I used Offspring #1's canoe was on 2011. It has been lying in the yard for the past seven years not getting much use, or so I thought.  As it turns out it has been getting used regularly by woody woodchuck and family as a den. I tried to move it last weekend and it would not budge. I had to dig the two ends of the canoe out of soil because it has submerge five inches into the black soil.  It still would not budge. I lifted each end and placed a brick under the metal and then tried to turn it over.  Finally it did budge but gallons of soil came over with it. The woodchucks had been kicking up soil under there filling the sides. Vines had grown under the canoe and through the seats.  Many long legged spiders made their home under the canoe. One adaptable boxelder tree was rooted right in the center of the canoe so it grew sideways and them up.  Now it has a very strange curve in the trunk right next to the ground. Lord knows what might have happened if I never moved that canoe. Maybe it would have submerged into the soil or maybe the trees would have carried it aloft and it would hang in the sky. Those Alumacrafts are made of sturdy material! Now the canoe is sitting upright.  I am not sure where I want to put it. I have a suspicion the woodchuck is keeping an eye on me and might move along with it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...