Monday, July 16, 2018

Lost City Of The Monkey God

Someone in my book club suggested this book but the group never voted to read it. I decided to read Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston on my own. Douglas is a journalist for National Geographic. He went on an adventure in Honduras to find some ancient artifacts. He writes about the dangerous jungle with venomous snakes and pesky flies in great detail. They had a difficult trip. I guess photographers and journalists are accustomed to dangerous situations.  Sometimes I got the feeling he was bragging about how the dangers but I don't know for sure.  Turns out he did suffer medically from this excursion.  Disease may have been the reason this lost city abruptly ended. We don't know for sure. I liked his descriptions of the howler monkeys, the jaguars and the snakes. I could really get a sense of how thick the jungle is when the poor guy got lost finding his tent which was only ten feet from the fire.  From reading this book I learned about archaeology and politics and disease but not a whole lot about the country of Honduras.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...