Sunday, July 1, 2018

Green Heron!

So far this year I have kayaked five times in five separate lakes. I prefer lakes to rivers when we have had so much rain the streams are flooded.  I kayaked in  Crooked Lake (where I struggled to get out and got my pants wet), Round Lake (where I got a medium leech on my foot which I didn't notice until I was home), Diamond Lake (where I got caught in a wind storm), Block Lake and Belmont Lake. This picture of a green heron was taken on Block Lake. I woke early and put in about 6 a.m. The water was quiet so I went past the cabins before anyone was awake.  I rounded stoney point and admired the large boulder where I spent many a summer hour fishing. I went around the shallow end of the lake near the road where I saw the heron.  I went past some more cabins where one of my cousins saw me but I didn't know that at the time.  I explored the area where the dam was installed.  I saw there was no gate over the dam.  We used to have a gate over the dam.  I used to walk over the dam holding on to the gate.  Now the dam has no gate and there is much less vegetation in front of the dam.  I could have easily slid over this sloping dam and then I would not be in the lake. I didn't want that so I kept a safe distance away.  I harvested 3 cattails. I turned the sharp corner at Petey's bay where to my surprise I saw seven white pelicans standing on the branches of a tree that had fallen into the water. I said, "Oh," The pelicans saw me and proceeded to get off the tree and swim along the shore.  I guess the surprise was mutual. I cut them off so they could go back to their tree and relax. As I floated along the shore and watched the pelicans return to their quiet bay I glanced up and right in front of me was a bald eagle.  This majestic eagle was watching me closely.  I thought it looked nervous so I moved on.  When I got to the sand bar across from the cabins a wind came up.  I had no idea how much time had passed but instead of a quiet lake I now had white caps.  I let the wind help me reach the shore by the road and paddled close to the shore where I thought it would be easier.  The waves rocked my little boat as I cut between them to the point where I thought it would be safer to approach the waves straight on. "Yee Haw!" said I as the water splashed me in the face.  I was riding those waves up and down. The wind was trying to push me back to the road so I really had to paddle hard to make progress. The wind was very exhilarating and the water was warm.  My arms were quivering by the time I made it back to the public access.  Sometimes I struggle to get out of the kayak and when the waves are tipping it back and forth, back and forth, it's even harder to get out.  But I made it out. I was already fairly wet from the waves so it would not have matter so much if I did fall in. Now I was ready for some hot coffee and some breakfast!  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...