Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Don't Worry. He Won't Get Far on Foot.

Some friends and I met up at the Lagoon Theater to see this movie about the famous cartoonist John Callahan.  Twenty years ago a friend gave me one of his cartoon books.  I enjoyed it very much although I can see his humor is not for everyone. For example, he draws a picture of a man in a wheelchair. The wheelchair has tipped over and he is lying in the street. Two police officers stand near him and one of them says, "Don't worry.  He won't get far on foot."  Black humor can be funny sometimes.  My favorite cartoon by John Callahan was a person at an amputee support group. This person is surrounded by people without arms and he says, "I need a hug."  Again, that kind of humor is very bleak.  The movie is not only about a guy in a wheelchair but also his journey through the 12 steps toward sobriety. I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...