Saturday, November 24, 2018

A Time of Dormancy

I am always thankful to see wild turkeys in my yard on Thanksgiving Day.  Here is a photo of 2 turkeys out of a rafter of 6.

Later that day I walked down a steep hill down to the shore of Block Lake. The walk from the house was bitterly cold. The wind blew the misty air right through the clothes I was wearing. Once we got a few yards into the basswood forest the wind was slowed and I was much warmer.  This log on the left has a series of icicles hanging from the trunk.  I suppose the splashing lake water dripped off the log or else the snow on top of the log melted downwards. I wonder if the icicles will remain all winter. The mist was so thick we could not see across the lake. Everything looked lifeless and stark. Appearances can be deceiving because this place is not lifeless.  There is plenty of action going on under this lake ice.  Fox and deer made tracks in the snow. A few birds flew around. A time or dormancy has begun for some creatures.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...