Saturday, November 3, 2018

Deer Season

I can tell something is up in my neighborhood. Tensions are running high. The deer in the yard are anxious.  They look around more. They run instead of walk. The deer seem more reckless. More risks are taken.  I can almost smell the extra testosterone in the air.  The bucks have a one track mind. Under the spell of their own hormones they barely eat or drink. I read that the male deer can loose 20% of their weight during the rutting season. When the season is over some males will lie still for two full days and nights before getting up again to start browsing again. If I can get through this rutting season without striking a deer with  my car, I will be grateful.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...