Friday, November 16, 2018

No Monkeys!

I am glad we don't have monkeys here.  I read a story yesterday about a young mother in India. She was at home nursing her 12 day old child.  A monkey came in the house and tore the baby out of her arms. The monkey bit the child's head and carried it up to the roof of the house. Other people threw sticks and stones at the monkey.  Eventually the monkey dropped the baby off the roof and left the scene of the crime. The child died from severe bites to the head and the trauma of being dropped off the roof.  I can't imagine.  When I was in Africa there were monkeys and baboons.  One day we parked in front of a lodge. We went in the lodge to check in. For those few minutes it took to get our room keys some monkeys entered the van through the sun roof. They opened the bags. They tore open the bag of trail mix and left a big mess all over the van.  Our guides ran out to the van yelling. They chased the monkeys away.  Later, at that same lodge, I was swimming in the pool one afternoon.  I put my backpack on a deck chair with my towel and sandals. While I swam a monkey came up. Before I could say a word the monkey unzipped that backpack and was taking items out.  I had to chase that monkey away.  At dinner that night we ate on an open air patio.  A Maasi young man was there with a slingshot.  His job was to keep the monkeys off the tables and the buffet table.  Every single time he got distracted the monkeys took advantage and jumped up to grab food. One member of our party lost her phone. She looked everywhere. She called the phone from another number and it rang so she knew it was still in service somewhere.  Unfortunately her ring tone was frog noises and there were a lot of frogs in the area.  After 6 hours the phone went dead. She suspected the monkeys took her phone. Monkeys are trouble. I used to want a monkey like the one Tarzan had in the movies but no more!  No monkeys for me thank you very much!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...