Sunday, August 25, 2019

Cut Flowers - For or Against?

I planted what I thought were all orange zinnias this year. Obviously this one was not orange but white. Despite the flower's lack of orange I still think it has a certain elegance about it so I deemed it worthy of being cut and brought into the house. Some people don't like cut flowers. I have a niece who doesn't like cut flowers. She doesn't like them because they die. My maternal grandfather was a farmer and he grew beautiful flowers. He never cut his flowers. Grandpa preferred the beauty of the flowers stay outside. My mother liked cut flowers. I remember a vase of daisies she had in the dining room on a shelf. She put ink into the water and the white daisies became purple daisies. Maybe that is why I like cut flowers. In the winter if I feel the winter doldrums I treat myself to a spray of cut flowers and then I feel better. If something makes me feel better I don't consider it to be a waste of money. I would not spend $40 on a dozen hot house roses though. I would rather get a vase of flowers from the prairie or a local ditch than a dozen hot house roses.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...