Thursday, August 8, 2019

Dangerous Waters

Pleasant Avenue bridge in Anoka
 Yesterday after work I monitored the Rum River. As I throw my metal bucket over the bridge I see a man on his phone floating in an innertube go by. The sign ahead on the Highway 10 bridge reads "DANGER. DAM AHEAD IN 2400 FEET." He's not looking at the sign, he is looking at his phone. I throw my bucket down and to my astonishment I see a very large snapping turtle come up for a breath of air right next to the man's left foot. Not only is this man in danger from the dam ahead but also a turtle could, if it chose, bite a toe off or perhaps another body part dangling in the water. How did his floating adventure end? With all digits intact and safely I hope.
Pedestrian bridge over Coon Creek in Cook Rapids

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...