Sunday, August 4, 2019

Let Me Be Frank With You

"To be Frank I would have to legally change my name." That is a joke I heard this week. I just finished Let Me Be Frank With You by Richard Ford. I enjoyed the story about a somewhat grumpy retired man. He was a real estate agent, a father, a husband, an ex-husband, a friend, and an ex-friend. In the beginning of the book Frank listens to his wife tell the story about the 1862 uprising in Minnesota. As the 38 Native Americans are hanged by the neck to die at the same moment by the United States Government, they all are shouting "I'm here!" The sound of their voices in unison was a moving moment to those in attendance. I have studied that tragedy and I didn't know that detail before. I think Richard Ford is an excellent writer. I understand he wrote a trilogy about Frank Bascombe. Oddly enough this book I picked up came after the first three were written. Does that make this one a quarterly? 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...