Sunday, March 22, 2020

Chronicles of a Radical Hag

Since my library has closed I have to get my books from the cloud library. Thank goodness for the cloud library! I don't know what I would do without books to read and/or listen to. I listened to Lorna Landvik read Chronicles of a Radical Hag (With Recipes) to me. This novel pays homage to journalists working for newspapers in small towns. The journalist in this story is Haze Evans. She writes honest columns about every day life in a small town, politics, and current events. Her ideas are on the liberal side. When she offends readers they write letters to the editor calling her a radical hag and suggesting she write a recipe column instead. Sometimes she does include recipes. I thought this was a cute story. I especially liked the character named Sam. Sam is a teenager who's mother is the publisher of the newspaper. She gets him a summer job at the paper. Since Haze had a stroke and is in a coma, she can't write her column so Sam's job is to find the best columns to be reprinted. He isn't excited by this job until he starts to work and finds his own passion. Every once in a while Lorna would pronounce a word in such a way she sounded just like Betty White. Once she said the word Washington and in my mind I am picturing Betty White  in my mind. But then five more words would go by and I knew it wasn't Betty White, it was Lorna Landvik. I enjoy Lorna's work. I have read her other books. I saw her do improv live at the Bryant Lake bowl. She is certainly entertaining.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...