Friday, March 27, 2020

My Name Is Lucy Barton

I saw that this author wrote Olive Kitteridge and I loved that book so I borrowed My Name Is Lucy Barton. I liked this book but not nearly as much as I liked Olive Kitteridge. I think Olive had more depth than Lucy. Lucy grew up in a poor family in Illinois. Her father has PTSD from world war two and life is hard for her. She escapes her troubles and stays warm (because it is cold at home) by staying in school and reading books. She escapes her family by getting a scholarship to college and moving to New York City. Lucy gets married, has children, and becomes a published author. During an illness Lucy's mother comes to visit her in the hospital. Lucy and her mother haven't seen each other for years.  Lucy has the time to ask her mother all kinds of questions. Her mother answers some but not others. This story was adapted and made into a play on Broadway starring Laura Linney.  Lucy's character is powerful yet elusive. I can't imagine the energy it would take to portray her on stage.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...