Monday, March 9, 2020

Matka

From the first chapter I was so engrossed in Matka by Sarah Hanley that I neglected other things I could have been doing. Now that I am retired it is easier to let a book take me under it's spell and just enjoy it. The main character is Zosia. She lives in Poland with her three children. Her husband dies from tuberculosis at the beginning of World War Two. When her son is taken away by the Gestapo because he has the same lung disease, Zosia offers to go in his place. She is transported to a slave farm. When the war ends she tries to return to her family. She is sent to a displaced person camp and ends up trapped there for three years longing to get back to her Polish family. The story is fiction but the author's grandparents did live in the displaced person camp in Wildflecken, Germany. If you are looking for an riveting tale, this is the book for you.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...