Thursday, March 6, 2008

Affirmative Action


Today I was working on our annual affirmative action report. My mind is filled with questions that I don't usually consider. Terms like these are running through my head: total employees, officials and managers, professional, technical, office/clerical, operatives male, female, american indian, alaskan native, asian, black or african american, hispanic or latino, native hawaiian or other pacific islander, disabled, total applicants, total hires applicants interviewed, applicants tested, employees promoted, employees transferred, employees demoted, employees trained, employees terminated, utilization numbers, number underutilized, annual goals, 2000 census, EEO data. I am not used to working with these kinds of classifications. I feel strange counting up all my coworkers (52!) and putting them into categories. Oh, look at Tom, he's a male, non-minority, non-disabled operative new hire. But this role as Affirmative Action Officer stretches my mind and that can only be good for me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...