Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Sensitive

In the past couple weeks, 4 people have claimed that we're "Not going to have a spring this year." The first time I heard it, I smiled. The second time, no smile. The third time I felt resentful. The fourth time I argued, "We will have spring. It may be a wintry spring but there must be a spring between winter and summer." She smiled and said, "No, we're going right from winter into summer - no spring." This crazy talk is making me mad. Spring is my favorite season. We cannot skip any season, least of all my favorite season. Why does spring get no respect? Is spring the Rodney Dangerfield of seasons? I have never heard anyone talk that way about summer. "Oh, we're not having a summer this year, we're going right from spring to fall." Same thing for winter - no one in Minnesota discounts winter. Even fall gets more respect that spring. I look outside right now and it is snowing inches and inches. The snow is blowing down, right, left and even up - it's practically a blizzard. Even I have to admit it looks a lot like winter out there. Nevertheless, it is spring. This snow won't cover my driveway for weeks. This snow will soon be history. I think the problem is that I have not enjoyed winter this year. January and February and March have seemed so long. I believe my time in Africa thinned my blood. My office at work has been unusually cold. I had to wear long underwear for 6 weeks steady. So, I am insisting, despite the 7 inches of snow out there, it is spring.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...