Monday, March 24, 2008

Sapcicles




I am not sure if you can see the icicles hanging on this tree in the photo. As I walked the dog around the block yesterday, I noticed these icicles on this boxelder tree (member of the maple tree family). There are about 9 icicles hanging off the tips of various branches. Each branch that is tipped with an icicle was broken or trimmed. The sap has been running with the warmer weather and must have dripped out the end of these branches and froze, forming icicles. That is why I called them sapcicles.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sapcicles formed on my maple tree first time in 30 years ,only on one branch and on the trunk. About a foot and a half long.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...