Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Nightmare on 164th Lane Or You Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone


A nightmare woke me up before the sun rise this morning. I paid to have an outdoor swimming pool installed in my backyard. I came home to see that the contractors had removed the entire natural area on the northeast corner of my lot and butchered all the trees, including my favorite tree on my lot, the huge red oak. I have many trees in that corner and they were all felled and loaded up on a flatbed truck. The contractors had installed sod which I was expected to mow and to water. I was so upset. I got out of bed to look out my window to see if this disaster was true. It was too dark to see anything. Eventually my reasoning kicked in and I thought this was too bizarre to have really happened. I had never desired an in-ground swimming pool in the back yard anyway. I went back to sleep. But when I left for work, I looked to make sure those trees were still there. I believe there is a message in this dream for me. I had been toying with the idea of moving to a smaller place. I have a long driveway that needs shoveling or plowing and a big yard to mow. Sometimes it seems like too much for me. I question why I need such a large house and lot for one person. Why heat a huge house for myself? Shouldn't I reduce my carbon imprint on this earth by finding a smaller place closer to public transportation? I think the message in this dream is that if I get upset about my trees being felled in a dream, I'm not ready to give up this real estate yet.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...