Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day




Happy St. Patrick's Day to all. Here is a photo of a crwth - an ancient Celtic instrument that is plucked or bowed. I suscribe to the Merriam Webster word of the day and this was today's word. Seeing this word brought me back to an incident in elementary school. I was in class and Sister Mary John was talking about words (always one of my favorite subjects) and she said there are no words without vowels. She asked if anyone could think of a word without a vowel. There I was sitting at my desk. My desk was open at the chair end with a wooden top and a hole in the upper right hand corner. Why the hole in the corner? I have no idea. Were ink wells that recent that we needed holes in our desks? I was wearing my brown plaid jumper, my short sleeved white shirt with the Peter Pan color, my brown oxford shoes with white anklets when suddenly my hand went up. I had a word without a vowel. Sister Mary John called on other kids who had ideas for words without vowels but they were wrong. All their words had vowels. But my word had no vowels. I was positively sure of it. My hand was up and waving like Horshak on Welcome Back Kotter. "Pick me! Pick me!" I was thinking. "Oh, pick me, I got the answer!" As soon as Sister Mary John says my name I realize, to my dismay and disappointment, my word does have a vowel. My word has a giant vowel, capitalized, right at the beginning. What was my word? Egypt. How could I have missed the vowel in Egypt? My hand went down and I meekly said, "Never mind." Ever since that day I have looked for a word without a vowel. So, Sister Mary John, check out today's word of the day - crwth. I may be 45 years late but I finally found one for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about Fly? Y isn't a vowel and it's only counted as a vowel when there are no vowels in the word, which is just a cop-out, imo.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...