Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday Chore - Filling the Birdfeeder

This afternoon I filled my birdfeeder with black sunflower seeds like I do every Sunday. I hung it on the hook under the squirrel baffle. I was examining the teeth marks squirrels had left on the rim of the baffle when I heard the sound of wings, really close. Those chickadees must have been watching me carry the feeder out to the tree because as soon as I put it up, they were there, ready to partake. I tried to stand really still and see if they would eat while I stood within arms reach. Several winged past my head but wouldn't sit on the birdfeeder. Eventually one brave chickadee came, took a seed, and flew off lickety split. Nuthatches came and eyed me and left - too timid to eat in front of the human. I put my hands in my pockets to appear harmless. I watched in amazement as 4 chickadees came and ate before me. We were so close. If I tried and if they were really hungry, I bet I could have them eating out of my hand.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...