Thursday, March 27, 2008

Upset



In the past I would beat offspring #2 in Scrabble nearly all the time. But I was nice about it and we both enjoyed it. Then in the past couple years, we were about evenly skilled in Scrabble. But as was pounded into me in such a harsh fashion Tuesday night, I now suck at Scrabble compared to her. I lost by not 10, not 50, not 75, not even 100, but a miserable 129 points. Ouch, that hurt. I was humbled at Scrabble - scrumbled. Her best word was gazing (on a double word score, no less). But you gotta watch her because she tried to put gazingly and that was so not a word. She tried to put cess. I tell her it isn't a word. She says it is too, because there are pools of cess - cesspool. I challenge her. Cess in an Irish word, in the dictionary, and not capitalized that is short for success. How fitting. She's ruthless. She's rather ruin a spot for me than gain a few points. She's out to win. I comment on her Scrabbleocity (ferocity at winning Scrabble games) and question whether her attendance at St. Um Yah Yah, the private liberal arts college in Northfield, has improved her Scrabbleness. She says yes, because with her lap top and high speed Internet, she can play Scrabble on line in her dorm room. I am not daunted. My own Scrabbleocity will increase as I learn from my future mistakes.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...