Friday, June 6, 2008

The Curl is the Best Part


I read something on the Internet the other day about Karl Zinsmeister, a Bush appointee to the Council on Morality, complaining about public licking of ice cream cones as immoral and something that should be done only in the privacy of your own home. He thought licking cones in public was uncivilized and animal-like behavior. I don't think it's really true about Karl Zinsmeister because I can't find it substantiated by any reputable source. But I got to thinking about licking ice cream cones. Licking ice cream cones does bring us down to a basic level. We're not using utensils. We're using our tongues to wrap around that globe of sweet iciness. We gauge how deep of a groove we should tongue into the cone balancing the potential for ice cream headache against the mess a melting glop of sweet frozen milk will leave on our clothes. You watch a child eat an ice cream cone and you know what I'm talking about. They make a total mess. Eating a cone is an art neatly perfected by stopping at the DQ on the way home from "Up North." Doesn't everybody stop at DQ on the way home from a weekend away? Give me a small cone from DQ any day. I prefer DQ to any other kind. I don't like the thick ice cream served at 21 flavors or Cold Stone. I also don't like frozen yogurt - it tastes too much like, well, yogurt. DQ is the best if their machine is working right. I advise you not go to Dairy Queen on a really hot day with a long line of customers. By then their ice milk machine cannot keep up to customer demand and you might get a runny cone. But if you get a cone when the ice milk machine is at it's peak, you are in for a heavenly treat. The curl is the best part. Call me an animal but I enjoy wrapping my tongue around a DQ curl.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...