Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sleeping With The Windows Open

Last night I slept with the windows open. I really like feeling the breeze and listening to the sounds at night. About 11 p.m. my neighbors shot off fireworks. These aren't the kind of fireworks you can buy at the local gas station. These were beautiful (and probably illegal) light up the sky fireworks. Just by tilting my head and looking up, I could enjoy the fireworks. Besides the fireworks and people talking, that is all I heard before I went to sleep. In the morning I heard a cow crying. I live probably less than a quarter mile from a dairy farm. That is a quarter mile as the crow flies. Not being a crow, I'd have to drive at least 10 miles to the nearest bridge to cross the river. The dairy farm is in Andover. I enjoy listening to the cows complain - reminds me of being up north. After that I heard the whine of a dog in the neighborhood. I suspect it's the dog owner a couple houses away - the owner of 2 or 3 standard poodles. These large poodles are amazing to see. They don't seem to realize their size. They jump and leap about like they're 10 pound puppies. Very eager dogs are poodles. The last sound I heard before getting out of bed was my old friend, the indigo bunting. I believe our creator put all the beauty of this bird into the appearance because the sound they make sounds like a sharp, metallic, "titch." Almost exactly like the sound of the wheel grinding when you activate a lighter.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...