Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Solstice!


Happy Summer Solstice - the longest daylight of the year. Yeah, it's all downhill from now until December 22 when the days start getting longer again. I celebrated the beginning of summer by being very lazy. I had lunch on my swing on the deck. I read the paper out there. Then I finished a book out there. And finally, the dog and I took a nap out there. Tomorrow I shall be more industrious. I was out and about early this morning. I took my compost (banana peels, watermelon rind, onion skins, etc) out to my compost bin this morning. As I dumped the compost into the bin, a deer scared up. This deer had been napping in the tall prairie grass to the east of my house. I've seen this deer around often lately. When I mowed the lawn on Monday it scampered back and forth in the yard like a dog. Odd to think of a deer sleeping just outside the house here. The windows were open. It must have heard us talking, listening to the television, brushing my teeth with my electric toothbrush, and even taking a shower. Sometimes I forget that in my attempts to observe wildlife, wildlife observes me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...