Friday, June 20, 2008

A Gathering


Tonight Offspring #2 and I went to a neighbor's house for a DFL precinct gathering. We sat and talked to almost 20 people about the elections and the candidates. We talked about how it's hard to be a Democrat. One man in Ramsey had his Obama lawn sign stolen. Ramsey has many proud and loud Republicans. Some Republicans and even some Democrats get very belligerent in political discussions. Like one man said tonight, Ramsey is Nascar country. We Democrats feel lonely sometimes. We had a big discussion whether Obama should or should not choose Clinton for his vice president. As a black candidate, Obama is breaking a barrier. One older man talked about as a 8 year old boy, he sat around the kitchen table with his elders discussing the Kennedy candidacy. Although his family were all strong Democrats, they had doubts about Kennedy because of his religion. Turned out, religion was not as important as his Minnesota Lutheran relatives thought it was. Several people asked Offspring #2 if she was going to vote for Obama. They told me I raised her right. The truth is, I'd love her even if she voted for McCain. Even though I was hot and tired and ready to go to bed before we left, I was reluctant to leave at 10. I'm glad we went.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...