Sunday, June 22, 2008

"Yellow Birds Unite!" or "Migwe Has Visitors"

I was cleaning out the bird cage this morning and I set my canary, Migwe, outside to give him a shower and so he could get some fresh air. I left him out there for a few minutes to clean my bathroom and when I came back, he had company. A pair of goldfinches came over for a social call. You can see the male in the picture perched on top of Migwe's cage. The female isn't shown but she was there as well. They stayed to chat and to snack on some canary food that had spilled. They grabbed some of Blunder's hair that was lying on the deck from a recent grooming and took off. I haven't any goldfinches on the deck for several weeks so I can only assume they were attracted there by Migwe's presence.

We also saw a young and clumsy speckled fawn - no larger than a small dog - running along the edge of the woods on the south end of the property. I wonder if the fawn belongs to the deer that has been hanging out here for the past couple weeks.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...