Thursday, June 5, 2008

State Stamps


Whenever I go to the post office to buy stamps, I always ask, "Show me some pretty ones." The people at the Blaine post office are very friendly and they make stamp buying a very pleasant experience. This time I got some Frank Sinatra ones (such pretty blue eyes he had) and some Minnesota stamps in honor of our 150th year of statehood. At first glance, I really couldn't figure out what I was seeing. I couldn't tell if the lighter area was river or sky. Now I can see the bridge crossing the river and the lighter area in between the clouds in the sky. Funny thing I learned today in the paper - the photo on the stamp is a picture of the bridge over the Mississippi in Winona - yeah, the bridge that can no longer be safely used. So although the photo looks great, in terms of crossing the river we are no better and in possibly worse shape than we were 150 years ago. Cars are not like oxen who could possibly ford the river. We're getting some ferry boats in but it will not be easy crossing the river in that spot for a long time to come. How ironic "Like rain on your wedding day, like a free ride when you already paid, like free advice that you just didn't take" (Alanis Morrissette).

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...