Saturday, June 7, 2008

Queue


Queue is one of my favorite words. Queue is defined as a long braid hanging down the back of the head, a long line usually of people or vehicles, a sequence of messages or jobs held in temporary storage, or a data structure where records are entered at one end and removed at the other. The first time the word queue struck me was on a trip to England in 2002. Offspring #2 and I were there to celebrate Offspring #1's graduation from high school. We were at an outdoor market looking over the produce and just taking in the sights. A man asked me, "Are you in a queue?" I didn't understand what he meant at first. The first thing to pop in my head was that I accidentally stepped in a cow pie. Queue sounds a lot like Ewwwww! But this was the city. The gears kept rolling and after a few seconds I understood that he wanted to know if I was waiting in line. I also like the repetitive vowel pattern the word has going for it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...