Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Blessed Week


Today I saw a horned lark. I met both my birding goals in the span of 6 days. We met at Fish Lake at the southern edge of the Cedar Creek Nature Center in northeastern Anoka County. And there, standing on top of a house in a new development, was a horned lark. I've been told to look for horned larks on the ground in prairie areas or in fields. No one said to look at the roof of a house. But there it was. We had a good birding trip. We saw meadowlarks, tree swallows, trumpeter swans (really close), a loon, sandhill cranes, a flock of white pelicans, yellow-rumped warblers, song sparrows, field sparrows, flickers and hairy woodpeckers. We had hoped to see a red headed woodpecker. They are known to nest here. In fact the trees where red headeds nested last year are marked with tape around the trunks. We saw 5 trees marked with tape but no red headed woodpeckers. Red headed woodpeckers are rare. Some people think they will be extinct in ten years so I'd really like to see one. But boy, was it cold standing on the south shore of a lake at 7:15 a.m! The wind of the past few days blew up some foam. I saw pieces of foam that had been thrown 20 feet from the water. Despite my layers, I got cold. My fingers were numb inside my gloves. This has been a very good week for me.

1 comment:

Kathleen Riley said...

We saw two while walking in the park by our house. Also seen that day were 4 bald eagles, 4 loons, 8 sand hill cranes, 2 trumpeter swans and a plethora of geese and ducks.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...