Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chicken Riot


This morning I was so happy to see all the chicks alive and peeping. Everything was fine. It appeared that all of them were eating and drinking. I reached in the chicken brood box to remove the water. I filled the water container with fresh water and some electrolytes and as I reached to put it back, I saw an escapee. "How did you get out of there?" I asked in an evidently too loud voice because all the chickens started to riot. They crawled over each other and were all trying to escape. I modulated my voice, "Okay, okay, lets us all relax. We can't have a chicken riot here. Everybody is all right. Settle down. We'll put this one back in the box and this is where you will want to stay because the food and water are in here along with all your companions." Luckily my day started in Anoka instead of Blaine so I had the time to rig up temporary jail walls. I had to find something tall enough to restrain the eloping chicks and wouldn't get too hot and start afire from being near the heat lamp. I found an old aluminum half sheet cake pan and some plastic tote lids that fit the bill. As I drove away, I spotted the perfect box I could use to keep them warm and confined. My old blue recycling bin would work just fine. I was very glad to see my prison reinforcements held all day and the chickens were safe when I returned this evening.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...