Friday, April 10, 2009

Chick Update-10 days old

After only a week post hatching, Dwight, the rooster, already is showing his manliness. When fresh water comes down into the brooder, Dwight has to be the first chicken to taste it. And he has to stand on top of the container and stretch his neck to see as far as can be seen inside a recycling bin. Oh, Dwight, you are such a man. Angela is also very confident. She likes to jump to the top of the feeder, peek over the top of the recycling bin, jump down, and do it all over again. Up, down, up down, Angela makes her rounds. She is the largest of the hens. Pamela, the one with the widest brown stripe on her back, is the smallest. Kelly, Phyllis and Meredith are all larger than Pamela. I really can't keep those 3 straight all the time. I don't want to spend too much time on it because their colors may change as they grow. All the chicks have grown. I can tell when I pick them up that they have more meat on their bones. The feathers on their wings have grown about an inch longer. Today the coop was delivered via semi-truck. The coop was slightly damaged in transit. Paint is chipped on 3 of the four legs and one leg has a chunk missing. It's still usable though. More disappointing is the run - it's the wrong color. The coop is red and the run is green. Luckily I won't need the run for another month so I'll have time to get this straightened out. I set the coop in the garage and added bedding. I moved the warming light to the coop. This afternoon the chickens saw the last of the inside of the house and moved outside where they belong. I think they are enjoying the chicken coop because they have more room than the recycling bin.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...